The Photos app in Windows 11 is getting a major update with a host of exciting new features and improvements based on user feedback. This update, now rolling out to Insiders in the Canary and Dev Channels, enhances the overall photo viewing, organizing, and sharing experience. Let’s delve into the details of what’s included in this Photos app update.
New Slideshow Experience
One of the most requested features since the launch of the new Photos app in Windows 11 is the ability to enjoy photos in a slideshow format. With the latest update, you can now relive your memories through a captivating slideshow with transitions, animations, and a collection of 25 original music soundtracks to choose from. Simply click on any photo to start the slideshow or select multiple photos to watch them together in a visually appealing and immersive way.
Another highly requested feature makes its return with the introduction of the timeline scrollbar. This feature is available in the All Photos, OneDrive, and iCloud Photos gallery views, allowing you to conveniently navigate through your photos grouped by year and month. With the timeline scrollbar, you can easily jump to any point in time and quickly find the specific photos you’re looking for, making it easier than ever to explore and manage your photo collection.
The new Spot Fix feature empowers you to enhance your photos by removing blemishes or unwanted areas with precision. This handy tool enables you to touch up your images, ensuring they look their best before sharing or printing. With just a few simple clicks, you can effortlessly refine your photos and achieve professional-quality results.
Other Fixes and Improvements In addition to the headline features mentioned above, the Photos app update also brings several fixes and enhancements to enhance your overall experience. Here are some notable improvements:
- Auto Enhance is now built into the app without the need for a separate add-on, saving you the hassle of installing additional software.
- When importing photos from external devices, you can now conveniently drag and drop to select the photos you want, providing a streamlined and efficient workflow. The quick toggle feature allows you to easily confirm the files that have been selected.
- Hidden iCloud Photos will no longer appear in the gallery, providing a cleaner and more focused view of your visible photos.
- An issue where audio on video files was muted by default has been resolved. The app now plays audio by default and retains user settings across videos.
- Copying and pasting a photo from the Photos app into Outlook and Teams now inserts the image inline by default, eliminating the need for attachments and simplifying the sharing process.
- Multi-selecting photos in the gallery has been enhanced. Holding down the SHIFT key while selecting photos now enables you to choose multiple consecutive photos in a row, while holding down the CTRL key allows you to select multiple non-consecutive photos, giving you more flexibility and control.
These updates to the Photos app in Windows 11 enhance its capabilities and provide users with a richer and more enjoyable experience when managing their photo collections. Whether you’re reliving cherished memories through stunning slideshows, seamlessly navigating your timeline of photos, or utilizing the spot fix feature for photo enhancements, the new features and improvements in the Photos app ensure you can make the most of your digital photo library.