Forgetting your Windows administrator password can be a frustrating experience, especially if you are locked out of your own computer. However, there are methods you can use to reset a forgotten Windows administrator password and regain access to your system. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to reset a forgotten Windows administrator password, allowing you to regain control of your computer.
On This Page :
Method 1: Resetting Password with a Password Reset Disk
If you created a password reset disk before forgetting your Windows administrator password, you can use it to reset the password. Here’s how:
- On the Windows login screen, click “Reset Password” or “I forgot my password”.
- Insert your password reset disk into the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password. You will be prompted to create a new password.
Method 2: Resetting Password with Another Administrator Account
If you have another administrator account on the computer, you can use it to reset the forgotten password. Here’s what you need to do:
- Log in to the computer using the alternate administrator account.
- Press “Win + R” on the keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “control userpasswords2” and press Enter. This will open the User Accounts window.
- Select the account for which you forgot the password.
- Click on “Reset Password” and follow the on-screen instructions to create a new password.
Method 3: Resetting Password Using Windows Installation Media
If you don’t have a password reset disk or another administrator account, you can use a Windows installation media to reset the password. Follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows installation media (DVD or USB) into your computer and boot from it.
- On the initial installation screen, press “Shift + F10” to open the Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, execute the following commands one by one:
- Type “diskpart” and press Enter.
- Type “list vol” and press Enter to display the list of available volumes.
- Identify the volume that contains the Windows installation (usually labeled “C:”).
- Type “exit” and press Enter to exit DiskPart.
- Type “cd /d X:” (replace “X” with the drive letter of the Windows volume).
- Type “cd Windows\System32” and press Enter.
- Type “ren utilman.exe utilman.exe.bak” and press Enter.
- Type “copy cmd.exe utilman.exe” and press Enter to replace the utility manager with the command prompt.
- Restart your computer and let it boot normally from the hard drive.
- At the login screen, click on the Accessibility icon in the bottom right corner.
- The Command Prompt window will open. Type “net user” to display a list of user accounts.
- Type “net user [username] [newpassword]” (replace “[username]” with the actual username and “[newpassword]” with your desired password).
- Close the Command Prompt and log in with the new password.
Forgetting your Windows administrator password can be a frustrating situation, but with the right methods, you can regain access to your computer. By using a password reset disk, another administrator account, or a Windows installation media, you can successfully reset your forgotten Windows administrator password and resume using your system. Remember to create a strong and memorable password after regaining access to your computer to ensure the security of your account.